Residents Against Jupiter Wind Turbines is organising a petition to be presented to the NSW Legislative Assembly and the ACT Legislative Assembly. The wording of the petition is shown at the bottom of this page.
If you have not already done so, please download a copy of the petition here, print it out, get as many signatories as possible and post to Residents Against Jupiter Wind Turbines, PO Box 125, Bungendore NSW 2621 by September 9th.
This is important to our campaign, so please help.
The petition is directed to the NSW Legislative Assembly because it is the NSW government that sets the conditions for wind farms in NSW and approves them. It is thus the NSW government that is responsible for allowing them to be built and operated under conditions that are injurious to neighbouring residents.
The petition is also directed to the ACT Legislative Assembly because the ACT government has its own renewable energy policy that depends on wind farms built in the region around the ACT. Under that policy, ACT electricity consumers will be the customers for these wind farms and make them economic. Note this is despite the fact that there is space and wind resources within the ACT that for some reason are not being used. The ACT government justifies its policy on the basis of a survey that claimed 80% of residents in the Southern Tablelands want wind farms. It appears the survey included people from the ACT and was decidedly light on people who are, or would be, actually living near wind farms. The ACT government needs to be told what our attitude really is, as stated in the petition and set out below.
To the Honourable the Speaker and Members of the Legislative Assembly of New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory.
This Petition of citizens of New South Wales and Australian Capital Territory brings to the attention of the House that:
- We as residents of NSW and the Southern Tablelands are not in favour of industrial wind turbines in non-industrial zoned areas.
- Industrial wind farms will impact on the health, visual amenity of our community, our land values and lifestyle.
- If the Australian Capital Territory government wants wind power it should build the facilities in the Australian Capital Territory.
- Industrial wind turbines not be built within 5 kilometres of any dwelling.
The undersigned petitioners therefore ask the Legislative Assembly to
- Stop approving/sponsoring industrial wind turbines being built in non-industrial areas.
- Require that industrial wind turbines not be built within 5 kilometres of any dwelling.
- Require that if the Australian Capital Territory government wants wind power, then the wind turbines should be built in the Australian Capital Territory.